Think early orthodontic treatment for your child is over the top?
Preventative orthodontics is perfect for:
- Helping your child avoid self-esteem issues or being made fun of by peers
- Guiding permanent teeth into their proper position to avoid
- Monitoring and directing jaw growth and development
- Protecting protruding front teeth from the risk of trauma
- Reducing second phase treatment complexity and time
- Improving oral hygiene and habits that may be contribute to a condition
While some parents question the value of consulting with an orthodontist when their child is only seven or eight and still proudly smiling their baby teeth, our view and that of the Australian, American and British Orthodontic Association is clear:
Prevention is a much better alternative to long term expensive treatment, if you can avoid it, making that early visit is well worth the effort.
Numerous factors contribute to the onset of orthodontic problems - genetics, trauma, thumb / finger sucking, poor nutrition, poor oral hygiene, and dental disease. Seeing an orthodontist around the age of seven or eight is an excellent way of reducing or eliminating the need for more aggressive, complex and costly treatment down the track.